In this article, we will discuss:
- The benefits of listing more specialised services
- The benefits of listing more generic services
- Should list more specialised or generic service?
Generalists possess a broad understanding of an industry. They are often referred to as the ‘jack of all trades’ since they possess a top-level understanding of numerous subjects. This enables them to be relevant in a number of fields. A generalist marketer for example may have skills with website development, communications, promotions, advertising, social media and more. They have the ability to see the big picture and provide strategic business advice. Generalists also have the contacts to leverage specialists within that industry.
On the other hand, specialists are those who have a deep understanding of a particular subject. Having a deep understanding in a particular subject allows them to solve complex problems. It is important for specialists to continuously adapt and improve their skills and abilities in their particular field of expertise. This is necessary to remain competitive and ensure the information they provide is both relevant and current.
Benefits of listing more generic services
- You increase your customer base through a broader targeting strategy.
- You can enjoy a wide range of job opportunities as you may be available in numerous different fields.
- There is less pressure on delivering complex solutions as you are about the bigger picture, not specific areas of specialisation.
- You are not typecast into a particular specialisation. Customers will not assume you only have knowledge on that particular service, rather than the industry in general.
- You don’t run the risk of losing customer loyalty if you are not highly knowledgeable in that specific field. Specialists are required to constantly update their knowledge and skills (more-so than generalists).
Benefits of listing more specialised services
- You are more likely to be seen as an expert in your area of specialisation. You will be able to answer complex questions with ease. You will also have a higher chance of being chosen as a consultant for complex problems as you are specialising in a particular field.
- You get less competition for a niche service.
- You can charge more for specialised knowledge.
Should I list more specialised or generic services?
Besides weighing up the pros and cons of identifying yourself as a specialist or generalist, you should also consider your ability, qualifications or experience based on the industry.
You may already have an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in a field, working in a specialised role. If this is the case, then you should list specialised services on Josari.
On the other hand, if you are working as a generalist, you should have a broader understanding of the industry and should list generic services on Josari.
Better yet, why not list both? Josari allows you to list multiple profiles on the platform. Why not have both generic and specialised profiles? That way you will have a greater chance of being found in search results.
The bottom line
As an adviser on Josari, you should decide whether to list more specialised or generic services by considering your experience, your expectations and what benefits you can get from either a generalist or specialist profile.
As noted above, Josari has the capacity to list multiple profiles, so why not list both?
Send us a message using the form below.